Date: Sat, 03 May 2014 21:34:41 -0400
From: "writeonce@...ipix.org" <writeonce@...ipix.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: adding errc to support sed (FreeBSD)

On 05/03/2014 08:04 PM, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Sat, May 03, 2014 at 07:58:48PM -0400, writeonce@...ipix.org wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> The FreeBSD implementation of sed uses errc; its implementation
>> should probably be as simple as:
>>
>> _Noreturn void errc(int eval, int status, const char *fmt, ...)
>> {
>>          va_list ap;
>>          va_start(ap, fmt);
>>          vwarnx(status, fmt, ap);
>>          va_end(ap);
>>          exit(eval);
>> }
> What's the difference between this and other forms in err.h? Is there
> a 'v' version of it too?
The missing feature seems to consist in an exit code (eval) that could
be distinct from the error code (status).

>> The FreeBSD sed also needs a couple of macros that are currently not
>> defined, specifically ALLPERMS, DEFFILEMODE and REG_STARTEND.  Any
>> reason not to add them when _BSD_SOURCE is defined?
> Where would these be defined? If they're in a junk header I'm not so
> opposed to them, but musl aims to have a cleaner namespace than legacy
> systems, whereas at least ALLPERMS and DEFFILEMODE are ugly and don't
> fit any sort of namespace pattern.

I agree they are ugly, but unfortunately they're also essential for most
bsd utilities to build.  As a hopefully non-intrusive solution, I wanted
to suggest a new sys/bsd.h header, to be conditionally included from
within alltypes.h when _BSD_SOURCE is defined.

> As for REG_STARTEND, is it an alias for some regex flag that already
> exists, or a feature that would need to be implemented?
>
> Rich

Apparently REG_STARTEND is not a simple #define as the other macros, but rather a flag that is accounted for in _regcomp_.  The feature itself is not too complicated, though, and seems to add only a few lines of code to the FreeBSD implementation of regex.

zg