Date: Fri, 2 May 2014 08:06:56 +0300
From: Timo Teras <timo.teras@....fi>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: josiahw@...il.com
Subject: Re: Re: ctime, timezone?

On Thu, 1 May 2014 17:18:32 -0500
Josiah Worcester <josiahw@...il.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 5:00 PM, John Mudd <johnbmudd@...il.com> wrote:
>
> > Hmm, I'd like to install my app at 4,000 locations around the
> > country. Can I avoid explicitly setting $TZ?
> >

> With unpatched musl, not really. In the do_tzset function in __tz.c, I
> think changing the
> "if (!s || !*s) s = __gmt;" to simply "if (!s || !*s) s =
> "/etc/localtime";" should do it, though I wouldn't say for sure
> without testing.
> If you simply don't want to have to deal with manually setting TZ to
> match the /etc/localtime definition everywhere, TZ=/etc/localtime
> should suffice.

This will not work for setuid programs.

I patched musl with:
http://git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/aports/plain/main/musl/2001-default-to-localtime-timezone-if-TZ-is-undefined.patch

This needs latest musl git head to work.

And we configured Alpine to setup /etc/zoneinfo/localtime as symlink to
the proper place.

With the patch you could also symlink /etc/zoneinfo/localtime
-> /etc/localtime and then it'd just work.

- Timo