Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 22:20:05 +0000
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Co-existing i386 and x86_64 libraries?

Hi,

short of setting different prefixes for each respective build, what
could I do to have two coexisting musl-libc libraries, one for -m64 and
one for -m32 builds on IA-32?

The compiler (gcc in my case) supports the targets and the following
does the job on a 64-bit host:

./configure --enable-debug --target=i386 CFLAGS=-m32 CC="ccache gcc"

However, I have yet to find a solution to having both builds live
peacefully together under the same "prefix" and the specs file used by
the GCC wrapper choosing the proper architecture.

Any ideas how to accomplish this?

Looking at the Makefile the way it stands, I reckon this is virtually
impossible. There are hardcoded library names used after including
config.mak, so overriding something like that inside config.mak is hopeless.

Thanks,

// Oliver

PS: on another note, the Makefile appears to use GNU-make-isms, wouldn't
it make sense to name it GNUmakefile in order to avoid it being picked
up by other make flavors? Or am I missing something here?