Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 16:44:34 -0400
From: "Anthony G. Basile" <basile@...nsource.dyc.edu>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: i686 with -fPIE and -fstack-protector-all

On 03/22/2014 01:42 PM, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 09:33:48AM -0400, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
>> On 03/22/2014 09:06 AM, Szabolcs Nagy wrote:
>>> * Anthony G. Basile <basile@...nsource.dyc.edu> [2014-03-22 08:53:07 -0400]:
>>>>

>>> may be this gcc bug should be in the faq
>>>
>>> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2012-01/msg00012.html
>>> http://git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/aports/tree/main/musl/__stack_chk_fail_local.c
>>>

>> Thanks it.  I was going to adopt a patch like alpines but hesitated
>> in csae I was missing something.
>>
>> Aside: it looks like alpine is hitting a lot of the same issues i am
>> with gentoo+musl and adopting similar approaches, like getent and
>> ldconfig.
>
> Can ldconfig just be an empty script? Or does it need to make plain
> .so symlinks to all the .so.X.Y.Z files so that ld can find them? I'm
> not clear on whether most packages (e.g. libtool based) do the symlink
> themselves or expect ldconfig to do so. It doesn't affect runtime
> usage but it does affect linking programs against the library.

There is at least one package, I can't remember which, that does depend
on ldconfig's output to do the symlinking.  I'm sure others are in the
same boat.

> If we can figure out all this stuff, it would be great if someone
> could make a clean git repo of replacements for all of the glibc
> binaries that one could use with musl. Do you (or anyone else) have a
> list of programs we'd need to make dists happy?
>
> Rich

I'm not sure what you mean here, but what I've been doing is building up
a git repo of ebuilds with patches aginst various packages to make them
compile against musl, like sabotage or alpine does.

--
Anthony G. Basile, Ph. D.
Chair of Information Technology