Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 12:40:07 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Build on linux 2.6 and run on linux 2.4?

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 09:02:09AM -0400, John Mudd wrote:
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> I ran a test using an example thread app. I compiled the cond1.c example
> from http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialPosixThreads.html using
> musl-gcc on Ubuntu 13.04, 2.6 kernel obviously. The executable runs on 2.6
> as well as 2.4. I actually expected some kind of failure on 2.4. Did I pick
> a poor example or am I not understanding still?

Yes, I did too; the intent is that pthread_create is supposed to
return failure on kernels where things are not going to work right
(i.e. clone does not support the necessary flags to provide threads);
this is in turn supposed to result from a failure in pthread_self.

Could you provide the output of running the program under strace on
2.4?