Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2014 14:04:10 -0500
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Out-of-tree builds

On Thu, Feb 06, 2014 at 06:39:32PM +0100, Szabolcs Nagy wrote:
> > however, then I switch to an empty directory and run this:
> >
> > ../musl/configure --disable-shared
> >
> > I get:
> >
> > using compiler runtime libraries: -lgcc -lgcc_eh
> > checking whether compiler's long double definition matches float.h... no
> > ../musl/configure: error: unsupported long double type
> >
> > Are out-of-tree builds generally not supported, or am I doing something
> > wrong?
>
> not supported (yet)
>
> it probably wouldn't be hard to add though
>
> (eg the paths in the makefile can be prefixed with the build path
> and the generated config.mak can set that prefix up, but i'm not
> sure what's the best way to detect the path and there might be
> issues around the generated alltypes.h and include/bits)

It's not as easy as it sounds because of the way implicit % rules
work. I don't know how to get them to work when adding a leading path.
If someone can figure out how to do this without doing anything
horribly ugly/bloated/slow in the makefile, I'm open to adding support
for out-of-tree builds this way.