Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 16:19:49 -0500
From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@...too.org>
To: gentoo-embedded@...ts.gentoo.org, gentoo-hardened@...ts.gentoo.org,
 musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: yet another alternative libc

Hi everyone,

I just thought I'd let everyone know that I've built a musl stage4 for
amd64 and put it on the mirrors [1].  If you don't know about musl, you
can read about it here [2].  Its yet another libc which aims to be a
slim and fast.

I've got a stage4 (kinda/sorta).  It is not made using catalyst but
rather starts from a musl chroot and builds a new chroot using a
ROOT=rootfs emerge -ev @system technique.  The scripts are on the releng
repo [3].  Right now there are lots of packages which do not immediately
build with musl.  Mostly these are due to header locations, gnu-isms,
gnulib (which assumes way too much about internal implementations) and
at least one bug in musl or gcc (depending on who you ask --- exit()
compiled with --stack-protector-all).  The patches are on the
hardened-dev::musl overlay [4].  They are "quickies" and may need work
if any are to go upstream.

A few points about the stage: 1) it doesn't use busybox for its core
utilities.  I like a robust native development environment from which
you can build.  2) Despite the fact that the profile is under hardened,
it is still a vanilla stage.  I'm working on getting it hardened, but a
few packages break when we turn on pie, ssp, relro and/or bind_now.

Enjoy or ignore at your discretion.

--Tony

Refs.

[1] http://distfiles.gentoo.org/experimental/amd64/musl/