Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2013 11:56:14 +0100
From: Waldemar Brodkorb <wbx@...nadk.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Release test framework

Hi Rich,
Rich Felker wrote,

> One thing that's still missing that I had on the Roadmap for 0.9.15 is
> establishing a formal testing procedure for releasing. Basically what
> I have in mind is:
>
> For each arch:
> 	Assume the existence of a musl-cross compiler for it.
> 	Build musl and install to a prefix under the rest root.
> 	Build libc-test configured to use the new headers/libs.
> 	Create cpio archive containing:
> 		Newly built musl libc.so.
> 		Newly built libc-test tree.
> 		Provided base system template containing:
> 			Busybox.
> 			Simple /etc tree.
> 			Minimal init script to run tests.
> 	Boot qemu using a provided kernel and the new initramfs.
> 	Save output of tests outside the qemu environment.
> 	Diff against expected results for comparison.
>
> Does this seem like a reasonable and useful test procedure? Is anyone
> willing to volunteer to write the scripts for it?

Looks like an interesting task. I programmed a prototype:
git clone http://git.openadk.org/musl-test-framework.git
cd musl-test-framework; ./musl-test.sh

You need toolchains preinstalled. You could for example use OpenADK
glibc toolchains from here:
http://www.openadk.org/adk-toolchain.tar.xz
Or modify musl-test.sh to point to all toolchains via TCPATH/TCVENDOR.

It is tested with Qemu 1.7.0 (and required for microblaze support).

The support for microblaze is working, but I did not manage to get
the system automatically to reboot or powerdown. Any hints are
welcomed.

What do you think about it?

best regards
 Waldemar