Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 12:42:49 -0500
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: fnmatch and FNM_CASEFOLD

On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 05:59:12PM +0800, orc wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> This one really terrorized me well. Musl defines FNM_CASEFOLD in
> fnmatch.h but really does nothing when this flag is passed to
> function. This breaks busybox find -iname I believe, instead of file
> list matching "Test" among with "test" i get only those which
> contain "test" in their names with -iname "test". Missed lot of
> files because of it.
> Wishing this fixed or such define being removed.

I think this is a reasonable request. FNM_CASEFOLD is problematic to
support and I don't see adding it in the near/forseeable future.
However I do wonder if we'd lose a lot of out-of-the-box compatibility
relative to what we have now; in many cases, compiling without
case-insensitive matching working might be preferable to not compiling
at all. Is anyone willing to take up a task of checking which packages
in pkgsrc or other 'supported' packages are using FNM_CASEFOLD
unconditionally and how much work it would be to get patches upstream
to make the use conditional on #ifdef FNM_CASEFOLD?