Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 22:54:02 +0000
From: Laurent Bercot <ska-dietlibc@...rnet.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Pending patches/issues before 0.9.15 release?

> A glitch which would never have happened without the abominations
> which are leap seconds. Really, the core cause was the NTP folks'
> agenda in forcing leap seconds onto a POSIX time model where they
> don't work, resulting in discontinuous, non-monotonic clock jumps and
> time ambiguity.

  Looks like we totally agree on this :)

> If they'd instead smoothed out the difference between
> POSIX seconds and SI seconds over the whole interval between leap
> seconds as a tiny clock drift, reliable conversion back to TAI seconds
> could be performed as a presentation step without breaking software
> doing (valid, per POSIX) interval timing with time_t and
> timeval/timespec.

  ... but not on the conclusion. My own conclusion is that a linear
time scale should have been adopted for system clocks, and conversions
from/to UTC should be an entirely userland, only-for-display thing.
System operations should be able to depend on linear time, and only
humans should care about human-oriented time such as UTC. This is why
I always set up my system clock as TAI-10.

--
  Laurent