Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 00:30:43 -0600
From: Rob Landley <rob@...dley.net>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [Feature Request] SHA-1 HMAC

On 10/25/2013 11:00:06 AM, Rich Felker wrote:
> It sounds like what you're asking for is the addition of a new
> interface with no existing precedent, in which case, libc is really
> not the appropriate place for it. However, I think you can implement
> SHA-1 in just a few lines of code and include it with your project
> rather than depending on large libraries. Busybox has a very light,
> simple implementation you could copy; it's under GPLv2, but the code
> is by Rob Landley and I imagine he would relicense it under BSD/MIT
> for you if you need a less restrictive license. The original code it
> was based on was public domain, so you could also just go back to
> that. See libbb/hash_md5_sha.c in the Busybox source for details.

I'm way way behind on email, but the toybox implementation of md5/sha1
is essentially public domain (BSD license without any "copy this
license into your derivatives" clause). I've been pushing code into
busybox for years, but I wrote this is the first place for toybox, and
they replaced their old version with mine because mine's simpler, and
implements both sha1 and md5sum in the same file:

http://landley.net/hg/toybox/file/tip/toys/lsb/md5sum.c

FYI.

(And if you didn't have the reply-to: header in the list, the original
poster would have been cc'd on my reply all. Oh well.)

Rob