Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 21:16:15 +0200
From: Christian Neukirchen <chneukirchen@...il.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: GLOB_BRACE

Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx> writes:

> On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 05:35:42AM +0200, Luca Barbato wrote:
>> On 26/09/13 00:46, Paul Schutte wrote:
>> > "For us, things are easy. systemd is not meeting a need or doing
>> > anything better than the much simpler, more reliable tools we already
>> > have."
>> >
>> > Can you guys maybe point me in the direction of these tools please ?
>>
>> http://smarden.org/runit/ (process supervising and init replacement)
>> http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Eudev (device management)
>> http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev (device management, the other way)
>> http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/OpenRC (init coordination, runs everywhere)
>>
>> Depending on the part of systemd you care for.
>>
>> Once I have more time and/or people/resources I might overhaul
>> consolekit as seatd to provide an alternative logind with a funnier name.
>
> It should be noted that runit, and the runit replacements I've seen,
> are still quite bloated compared to what they actually could/should
> be, and are probably also lacking in robustness. I see them more as
> "the right direction" than the end goal.

runit.c (pid 1) has 346 loc, and the service supervisor runsv.c has 607
loc.  (Most of the code does error handling!)  They compile down to a
13k resp. 18k binary using musl.

I won't speak of runit alternatives, but runit certainly isn't bloated
and has been very robust in my experience.

--
Christian Neukirchen  <chneukirchen@...il.com>  http://chneukirchen.org