Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 11:03:23 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: GLOB_BRACE

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 04:35:25PM +0200, Luca Barbato wrote:
> On 23/09/13 16:08, Rob Landley wrote:
> > systemd is the second coming of devfsd. A lot of us are waiting for it
> > to blow over.
>
> Given the economic and PR support it won't blow over easily if
> alternatives on par on the PR side won't appear.
>
> Keep in mind that pigs can fly just nicely if propelled adequately. The
> landing could be problematic though.

The problem is that, for the audience it's designed for, systemd is a
big step up. Previously they were using hideous bash scripts full of
pidfile races for starting and stopping services, etc.

For us, things are easy. systemd is not meeting a need or doing
anything better than the much simpler, more reliable tools we already
have. But unfortunately there's a risk of it getting imposed on people
who don't need it, and drastically blocking hopes to make the core
system robust, because it's hard to do better than systemd in its own
area, and there are commercially-relevant groups who care about that
area. And of course you have the issue that it's absorbing other
critical components like udev that everybody needs and making it
impossible to use them without systemd.