Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2013 08:11:39 +0100
From: Christian Wiese <chris@...nsde.net>
To: <musl@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: Initial draft of musl documentation/manual

Hi,

On Sun, 1 Sep 2013 00:41:06 -0400, Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx> wrote:

> One more thing: the format of the document is presently Markdown
> (http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/). I may switch to
> something else in the future, but Markdown tends to be my favorite
> from a standpoint of being fully readable as plain text and also
> producing decent formatted output in HTML (and other formats, via
> conversion from HTML). Comments on this bikeshed topic are also
> welcome, I suppose, unless it gets out of hand...

in my opinion the "being fully readable as plain text" is a good thing
and should be preserved. I don't know much about markdown and its
capabilities, and how easily or non-easily it is done to generate
high-quality documents in different output formats from it.

Asciidoc [1] for example fulfils this criteria, by being fully readable
as plain text, and providing the capability to generate different kinds
of output formats in a high quality.

"The asciidoc(1) command translates AsciiDoc files to HTML, XHTML and
DocBook markups. DocBook can be post-processed to presentation formats
such as HTML, PDF, EPUB, DVI, LaTeX, roff, and Postscript using readily
available Open Source tools."

You can take a look at the asciidoc source file of the index page the
asciddoc website is rendered from to get a slight overview how it looks
like.

Cheers,
Chris

[1] http://asciidoc.org/