Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 21:53:29 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Build system adjustments for subarchs

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 03:42:48AM +0200, Luca Barbato wrote:
> I'd just explicitly group files by the most selective so
>
> ARMEL+=${list of objects that work on el doesn't matter what}
> ARMHF+=${list of objects that work on hf doesn't matter what}
> ARMEB+=${list of objects that work on eb doesn't matter what}
>
> ARMHFEL+=$(ARMEL) $(ARMHF) ${other stuff}
> ARMHFEB+=$(ARMEB) $(ARMHF) ${different stuff}
>
> OBJS+=$($(targetarch))
>
> And give up on having automagic fallbacks.

The problem is that it's hard to integrate this with the existing
source-tree-based arch logic, which needs to know whether to build or
not to build the corresponding .c file. Just adding arch-specific
files won't do anything to turn off building of those .c files. It
also doesn't seem to scale well to multiple archs that need this sort
of logic...