Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 14:03:31 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: problems with dynamic linking since 0.9.1

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 07:14:42PM +0200, Jens wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Aug 2013, Szabolcs Nagy wrote:
>
> >* Jens <jensl@...s.mine.nu> [2013-08-13 13:18:27 +0200]:

> >>Sorry. Its actually linking the binary that doesnt work.
> >>

> >ah ok i did not see that
> >
> >i'd check libc.so if there is some obvious error
> >ld should be able to handle it
> >(eg file libc.so, readelf -a libc.so, nm -D libc.so, or just ./libc.so)
> >
> >since you use landley's weird toolchain it may be a
> >problem with the old binutils
>
> Thanks! You nailed it in one. If I use newer binutils it works.

> gcc and not the wrapper).
>
> Thanks again,
> Jens
>

> >>bash-4.1# musl-gcc -c t.c
> >>bash-4.1# musl-gcc t.o
> >>/opt/musl/lib/libc.so: file not recognized: File format not recognized
> >>collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

It would be nice to get to the bottom of this, still. It's not my
intent to require new binutils for linking against musl. Any idea why
it might have been failing? Are there verbosity level options to ld
that might help track this down?

By the way, how old were those binutils? I saw "firmware Linux"
mentioned, which was the predecessor of Aboriginal, so unless that's
just still landley's dir name, maybe these are a lot older than I
thought..