Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 02:44:20 +0200
From: Szabolcs Nagy <nsz@...t70.net>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: iconv Korean and Traditional Chinese research so far

* Harald Becker <ralda@....de> [2013-08-05 00:39:43 +0200]:
> Why cant we have all this character conversions on a state driven
> machine which loads its information from a external configuration
> file? This way we can have any kind of conversion someone likes,
> by just adding the configuration file for the required Unicode to
> X and X to Unicode conversions.

external files provided by libc can work but they
should be possible to embed into the binary

otherwise a static binary is not self-contained
and you have to move parts of the libc around
along with the binary and if they are loaded
from fixed path then it does not work at all
(permissions, conflicting versions etc)

if the format changes then dynamic linking is
problematic as well: you cannot update libc
in a single atomic operation