Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 22:50:25 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: embedded newbies site.

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 09:01:48PM -0500, Strake wrote:
> On 26/07/2013, Rob Landley <rob@...dley.net> wrote:

> >> This. Too, why not glib, and other such garbage.
> >
> > Never having used glib, I'm not qualified to warn people away from it.

glib is basically the C++ STL written in C, but lacking exceptions so
that there's no way to handle errors.

> I used it little, just to hack surf and jumanji, but I found
> insanely_long_function_names, poor docs of what allocates or frees
> what, wanton type synonyms, and generally a tangled mess.
>
> I gave up.

While debugging the heap-check crash that turned out to be memalign, I
dug into the glib and libxml2 code a bit. Just casually inspecting
less than 500 lines, I found cases of UB that don't break now but will
break down the road with fancier compilers, lack of synchronization
where needed, and various other small to medium bugs, not to mention
75%-redundant code in multiple code paths (lack of any proper
factoring). Offhand I would guess the whole GNOME family of code has
something like 4-10 bugs per 100 LoC....