Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 18:45:51 +0300
From: Timo Teras <timo.teras@....fi>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: nsz@...t70.net
Subject: Re: Preparing to release 0.9.12

On Thu, 25 Jul 2013 17:05:23 +0200
Szabolcs Nagy <nsz@...t70.net> wrote:

> * Timo Teras <timo.teras@....fi> [2013-07-25 10:44:59 +0300]:
> > Relatedly, commit f389c4984a (make the dynamic linker find its path
> > file relative to its own location) introduced the armeb, armhf
> > variants. Fundamentally, these are distribution specific names. I
> > believe debian has/had armeb (big-endian OABI; being retired), arm
> > (little-endian OABI; dead port), armel (little-endian EABI), and now
> > armhf (little-endian EABI with hard-float). But these are by no
> > means standard. While it is good that LDSO_ARCH gets good default
> > with this distinguished. It should be allowed to be overridden by
> > distributions.
> >
> > So basically I'd like to give at configure time:
> >  DISTRO_ARCH=armel
> >
> > Which would then make LDSO_ARCH, and SONAME accordingly. And with
> > the soname version set, we could do proper binary ugprades (even
> > when not everything is yet rebuilt).
>
> why do you care about the name of the loader?
>
> musl could use a random string, the only requirement
> is that each abi has a unique identifier so there is
> no collision
>
> if the name changes between distros then a simple
> binary that only depends on libc becomes non-portable

Well, when we have native tool chain, the loader name will have musl in
it, and it's not portable to non-musl systems.

I can probably live with the default LDSO_ARCH name as long as so
versioning is done properly. But I think it would still be useful to
let it be overriden, in case distro decides to add patches that break
ABI.

- Timo