Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 10:44:59 +0300
From: Timo Teras <timo.teras@....fi>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: dalias@...ifal.cx
Subject: Re: Preparing to release 0.9.12

On Wed, 24 Jul 2013 16:02:21 -0400
Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx> wrote:

> The list of changes since 0.9.11 has grown quite large, and although
> we haven't met some of the roadmap goals for 0.9.12, others that were
> marked for 0.9.13 have already been finished. So I think it's
> reasonable to aim to release very soon now. There are still a few
> pending items I'd like to get committed before the release:
>
> - orc's getaddrinfo fix for AF_UNSPEC with NULL hostname
> - Andre's ARM memcpy optimizations
> - New crt1.c code for adding PIE support for more archs
> - MAYBE the symlink direction issue...

Since the C++ ABI was fixed, it means that any current native musl
toolchain will get C++ ABI breakage?

In this case the symlink direction issue would help with smoother
transitions. It would be also crucial to start using proper SONAME
versioning, so we could handle binary upgrades smoothly.

Relatedly, commit f389c4984a (make the dynamic linker find its path
file relative to its own location) introduced the armeb, armhf
variants. Fundamentally, these are distribution specific names. I
believe debian has/had armeb (big-endian OABI; being retired), arm
(little-endian OABI; dead port), armel (little-endian EABI), and now
armhf (little-endian EABI with hard-float). But these are by no means
standard. While it is good that LDSO_ARCH gets good default with this
distinguished. It should be allowed to be overridden by distributions.

So basically I'd like to give at configure time:
 DISTRO_ARCH=armel

Which would then make LDSO_ARCH, and SONAME accordingly. And with the
soname version set, we could do proper binary ugprades (even when not
everything is yet rebuilt).

Thanks,
 Timo