Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 01:37:57 -0500
From: Rob Landley <rob@...dley.net>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Thinking about release

On 07/10/2013 02:42:34 PM, Rich Felker wrote:
> or what
> > >
> > > If nothing else, it fails to be armv4 compatible. Fixing that
> should
> > > not be hard, but it would require a bit of an audit. The return
> > > sequences are the obvious issue, but there may be other
> instructions
> > > in use that are not available on armv4 or maybe not even on
> armv5...?
> >
> > Rob Landley mentioned a while ago that armv4 has issues with the
> EABI
> > stuff. Is armv4 a definite lower bound for musl support, as opposed
> > armv4t or armv5?
>
> EABI specifies thumb; however, it's possible to have code which
> conforms fully to EABI but does not rely on the presence of thumb. GCC
> is incapable of generating such code, but it could be enhanced to do
> so, and all of the existing assembly in musl is plain-v4-compatible,
> so I would prefer not to shut out the possibility of supporting older
> ARM.

One of my larger pending todo items for aboriginal is fishing the last
gplv2 release out of gcc git the same way I did for binutils. (In
theory, this should give me armv7l support. In practice, the mpfr and
gmp split complicates matters...)

If somebody wanted to come up with an armv4-eabi patch, I'd happily
include it. Or just give me rather a lot of hints on what would be
involved, since I'm not much of an arm assembly programmer...

Rob