Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2013 02:37:40 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Use of size_t and ssize_t in mseek

On Thu, Jul 04, 2013 at 08:11:58AM +0200, Jens Gustedt wrote:
> Hello Rich,
>
> Am Mittwoch, den 03.07.2013, 21:28 -0400 schrieb Rich Felker:
> > The requirements for printf_s, scanf_s, and related functions look
> > quite invasive and would affect programs not using these interfaces.
>
> unless one would finally implement them separately, of course

Yes but that's a huge maintenance burden (duplicate functionality) and
while it's less bloat for individual static apps that don't use Annex
K, it's much more bloat for libc.a and libc.so.

> > Otherwise, the Annex K interfaces look like a considerable amount of
> > bloat with highly questionable usefulness, but mostly non-invasive. My
> > feeling is that we should hold off on a decision about them to see if
> > any applications actually start using them.
>
> If just some if conditionals are bloat for you, yes.
> These conditionals could easily be tagged as likely/unlikely to
> privilege the fastpath.

No, I mean just the sheer volume of interfaces to add.

> > > Then some interfaces are clearly different such that they can't simply
> > > be copied over, notably bsearch and qsort functions, since they
> > > receive additional arguments to provide context to the object
> > > comparison.
> >
> > These are much easier; the extra argument can be passed via TLS. It's
> > printf_s and scanf_s that are hard.
>
> Hm, I don't see how this can be done "easily", and in particular such
> that there is no performance loss for qsort. I think for these
> functions performance is important in any type of platform.

qsort_s can store the comparison function and context in TLS, and then
pass to qsort a comparison function that grabs these from TLS and
calls the original comparison function with the context pointer. This
is valid assuming qsort does not run the comparisons in new threads.

> > > IIRC, what I couldn't handle within P99 was checking of printf
> > > arguments, but from within musl this should be relatively straight
> > > forward.
> >
> > Not really. There would need to be a way to convey to the printf core
> > that it's supposed to do this extra checking, and a way to make it
> > call the constraint handlers.
>
> This you could e.g easily to with TLS :) I'd think that for printf and
> friends this would be much less critical than for the sort
> functions. To my understanding printf functions are IO bound (or
> memory bound for sprintf), so just some switching on entry on some TLS
> wouldn't be much of an overhead, I think.

TLS is not guaranteed to exist when these functions are called;
programs not using any multi-threaded functionality are supposed to
"basically work" on Linux 2.4. I don't mind having the Annex K
functions depend on TLS, since only new programs will use them anyway,
but I don't want to break existing programs.

For fprintf_s and and fscanf_s, it would be possible to instead pass
the special mode info in the FILE structure. However this requires
re-implementing snprintf_s and sscanf_s on top of fprintf_s and
fscanf_s (i.e. duplicating the fake FILE setup), rather than just
implementing them on top of snprintf and sscanf. (v's omitted for
clarity, but obviously we're really talking about the v versions)

> > P.S. One other reason I hate Annex K is that the constraint handler
> > design is non-thread-safe and non-library-safe.
>
> that is certainly a good point
>
> > There's only one
> > global constraint handler, shared by all threads and by all
> > libraries/modules that might be using Annex K functions. That means
> > there's really no valid way to write code that depends on a particular
> > constraint handler being installed.
>
> This is just meant to be like this. These interfaces are meant to give
> means to abort more or less gracefully if constraints as they are
> described in that Annex occur. They are not meant to have complicated
> games that let you "repair" faulty environments and continue
> execution.

What I was saying is that, in library code, you can't rely on this.
The application may have installed a handler that causes the functions
to just return an error, or the default implementation-defined handler
might do so.

> > And the default handler is
> > implementation-defined, so it wouldn't even be reasonable to say
> > "leave the default handler there". The only thing reasonable code
> > using these interfaces can expect when a constraint is violated is
> > implementation-defined behavior, which is only a tiny step up from
> > undefined behavior...
>
> You are too much a library implementor :) I think it is easy for an
> application to install a different constraint handler (a standard one
> or of its own) during startup in its main, before creating any other
> thread. I see that as the principal use pattern for this, just straight
> and simple.
>
> In particular no library should expect any particular constraint
> handler to be in place. It is up to the application to determine what
> is to be done if a constraint occurs.

Yes, I agree with your analysis here.

> > My feeling is that we should hold off on a decision about them to
> > see if any applications actually start using them.
>
> I think we have a hen and egg problem, here. Nobody will use them if
> nobody provides an implementation.

You presume we would want people to use them. :) I don't. I think
they're very poorly designed interfaces that were crammed into the
standards process by their sponsor's clout rather than any technical
merit of existing practice. _FORTIFY_SOURCE solves pretty much the
same problems these functions were intended to solve, but does a much
better job since it doesn't rely on the application developer to
provide truthful information about object sizes, and instead gets the
compiler to do it.