Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 08:13:45 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Request for volunteers

On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 01:02:03PM +0200, Daniel Cegiełka wrote:
> Rich, you missed something:
>
> 6. Man pages for musl. We need to describe the functions and
> namespaces in header files.

This is a good topic for discussion. My documentation goal for 1.0 has
been aligned with the earlier docs outline proposal I sent to the list
a while back. Full man pages would be a much bigger task, and it's not
even something a volunteer could do without some major collaboration
with people who have a detailed understanding of every function in
musl. (Sadly, wrong man pages are probably worse than no man pages.)

What might be better for the near future is to get the POSIX man pages
project updated to match POSIX-2008+TC1 so that users of musl who want
man pages for libc functions can install them and have them match the
current version. Separate man pages could then be made for nonstandard
functions or functions that require significant implementation
specific documentation, possibly based on the Linux man pages project,
but with glibc-specific information just removed (for functions that
are predominantly kernel-level) or changed (where documenting musl
semantics matters).