Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 18:19:30 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: sys/queue.h

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 10:54:03PM +0100, Justin Cormack wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 10:47 PM, John Spencer
> <maillist-musl@...fooze.de> wrote:
> > On 06/28/2013 11:29 PM, Justin Cormack wrote:
> >>
> >> I just found some code that uses sys/queue.h
> >>
> >> This is actually just macros and typedefs as far as I can see, no
> >> actual code at all. glibc simply uses the header file from BSD as far
> >> as I can see, so this would be fairly trivial to add.
> >

> > but it has an ugly 3-clause BSD license.
>
> That could be fixed by rewriting it I guess. Not sure it is
> copyrightable even...

Unlike most headers which are not copyrightable, this one is 100%
code. I agree the code is fairly generic and standard, though.

> > relying on its existence is highly fragile so most programs that use it have
> > their own copy somewhere in-tree.
> > and if not, it's a bug.
>
> Will complain to upstream.

For now, I think that's the best approach. It it becomes a widespread
issue that's hard to get fixed upstream, we can consider adding it.
However unlike some nonstandard interfaces where you reduce bloat by
having a shared copy in libc, this header is entirely inlined macros,
and it makes no difference from a bloat standpoint whether it's
inlined from /usr/include/sys/queue.h or ./include/queue.h.