Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 13:28:02 +0200
From: Szabolcs Nagy <nsz@...t70.net>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: cpuset/affinity interfaces and TSX lock elision in musl

* Daniel Cegie?ka <daniel.cegielka@...il.com> [2013-05-17 09:41:18 +0200]:
> >> 2) The upcoming glibc will have support for TSX lock elision.
> >>
> >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transactional_Synchronization_Extensions
> >>
> >> http://lwn.net/Articles/534761/
> >>
> >> Are there any outlook that we can support TSX lock elision in musl?
> >
> > I was involved in the discussions about lock elision on the glibc
> > mailing list, and from what I could gather, it's a pain to implement
> > and whether it brings you any benefit is questionable.
>
> There is currently no hardware support, so the tests were done in the
> emulator. It's too early to say there's is no performance gain.

it's not the lock performance that's questionable
but the benefits

locks should not be the bottleneck in applications
unless there is too much shared state on hot paths,
which is probably a design bug or a special use-case
for which non-standard synchronization methods may
be better anyway

for the implementation costs check the glibc
discussion where rich pointed out conformance
issues in the original design

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.glibc.alpha/29240