Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 18:53:24 -0700
From: idunham@...abit.com
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: High-priority library replacements?

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 04:53:37PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 03:14:42PM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:

The stb_* stuff appears to be intended solely for demos.
Replacing lua is pointless; lua is already nice and small.

I'd go for pnglite above lodepng--lodepng wants to be C++ and is much
longer; pnglite is actually packaged in most distros (IIRC, something
KDE-related uses it).

> > >i would be careful with stb_ things since the author makes
> > >statements such as:
> > >"Warning: gcc strict-aliasing optimization breaks this, which is
> > >too bad, because
<snip>

> The one being stupid is the person who's writing code that's invalid C
> and always has been invalid C. The fact that C has a tradition of
> being treated as a crap language where you can pass off whatever
> invalid hacks you want as code and ship it and get someone to pay you
> money for that junk is not an excuse to continue doing so. Rather it's
> the reason C got a bad reputation (for code that wasn't even C but
> nonsense posing as C!) and now we're stuck dealing with core system
> components written in Python and Perl, web apps written in PHP and
> JavaScript, and GUI behemoths written in Java and C++.
>
> If something is invalid C, you simply don't do it. You especially
> don't do it in a library you intend for others to be able to use in
> applications whose requirements and deployments you have no control
> over. Even if "it works for me" makes YOU happy when running the code
> on your own system, it's not okay when party B uses your code in their
> application without being aware that it's based on broken assumptions,
> and then party C gets to keep both pieces when it breaks.

As far as I can tell, most of the stb_* stuff is just stuff that was
written for demos and put on a web server in case someone wanted it.

And for demos, size is the big restriction; it's not expected to handle
every use case, or be used in a context where security is an issue--
in fact, continuing to function properly is not a high priority.

The flip side of this is that code written for demos is most likely
unsuitable for use in regular software.

--
Isaac Dunham