Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 08:50:29 -0400
From: LM <lmemsm@...il.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Best place to discuss other lightweight libraries?

Rich Felker wrote:
>On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 06:47:02PM +0200, Daniel Cegiełka wrote:
>>
>> https://github.com/rofl0r/gettext-tiny
>I think the goal is to have gettext functionality, not just stubs.
>Please correct me if I'm mistaken.
>
>With that said, an old version of GNU gettext should work fine. I
>wasn't even aware that the current version depends on glib; it
>certainly didn't in the past.

Correct, I was looking for a functional drop-in replacement that was better
designed or at least needed less dependencies.  Gettext was looking for
libxml2, libcroco and glib or would happily use its own versions if not
supplied.  It also has a circular reference with libiconv on some
platforms.  Was hoping for something more lightweight or at least with less
dependencies.

Wasn't aware that older versions didn't have all those dependencies.  That
definitely gives me one more alternative.  I did find an old version of bsd
gettext (
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/Pine.LNX.4.30.0105222006170.757-100000@peter.localdomain)
that appears to be able to replace libintl and gettext.  It doesn't
supply replacements for msgfmt, msgmerge, xgettext.  Was checking if
gettext-tiny might replace them, but doesn't seem to supply the
functionality used by the Open Source program I was trying to compile.
Doesn't even get past the configure tests.  Might look into the possibility
of combining the older bsd gettext with any current modifications that
might look useful from BSD Citrus project.  Not sure if what I currently
have works properly for every language, but it at least appears to be
working for what I tested and it's a start.

Luca Barbato wrote:
> https://github.com/pkgconf/pkgconf might be handy btw.

Was going to mention that yesterday as well.  pkgconf is a great drop-in
replacement for pkgconfig and does not require glib or any circular library
references.  The developers of pkgconf were also nice about adding support
and/or receiving patches.  I absolutely cannot say the same thing about the
glib developers.

Rich Felker wrote:
>If you want the data structures, I think that means you should be using
C++, not C.

This may be very much a matter of taste, because you can write data
structures in any language, but that certainly sums up my preferences.  I
find C++ a very useful language for expressing data structures.

Rob Landley wrote:
>Many moons ago I started a thread on here (or was it on freenode?) asking
about lightweight alternatives to stuff and the need for a wiki page
tracking them.

I try to document them as I have time at my own web site.  I also add links
to the MinGW and OpenWatcom wikis if I find libraries or tools that might
be useful to developers.  I know there are some die-hard Linux advocates on
this list.  My own bias is toward cross-platform portability.  I started
out and still am a cross-platform programmer.  I prefer to be able to write
programs in such a way that they're easy to port to any machine.  I don't
like to be locked into only being able to use one operating system.
Sometimes one doesn't have a choice at work which operating system one is
stuck with and it's nice to be able to have Open Source tools and utilities
to work on any system.

Here's what I've dug up for MinGW as far as various tools, utilities and
libraries:
http://www.mingw.org/wiki/Community_Supplied_Links
The links are definitely slanted toward working with MinGW, but as I
mentioned, my preference is for cross-platform, so many of the libraries
and some of the utilities links work on a variety of operating systems.  A
few of them came from Linux/Unix environments and I had to send in patches
to port before they'd even work with MinGW.

Rob Landley wrote:
>I know we discussed more stuff (rxvt, xcfe and lxde...)

I'll throw in a mention of razor-qt and Equinox Desktop Environment as
lighter-weight desktop environment alternatives.  Personally, I've never
found xfce efficient on my older machine.  I currently prefer a lightweight
window manager and a few utilities over a desktop.  I also like
rxvt-unicode.  The ability to run multiple terminal windows with a daemon
in order to save memory is really nice.  The other terminals with this
feature (like LXTerminal, lilyterm, evilvte and Sakura) all seem to require
VTE and don't seem as efficient in some ways.

Connochaetos has some helpful memory usage information for comparing
various desktop and X applications.  Gives some statistics of rxvt-unicode
versus other terminals too in case anyone's curious.
http://www.connochaetos.org/wiki/devel:x-apps

Sincerely,
Laura
http://www.distasis.com/cpp/osrclist.htm