Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 15:14:10 -0700
From: Isaac Dunham <idunham@...abit.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Will musl work as a lsb alternative? (was Re: re:
 musl setup attempt)

On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 10:23:46 -0400
LM <lmemsm@...il.com> wrote:

> FLTK usually requires X Windows (although there's an older
> version that has a port to DirectFB that might be worth
> investigating).  Am wondering if I can build the X libraries from
> scratch with musl, if they'll interact with the host system's X server
> or if a user would need to exit their X server and use a musl built X
> server and X libraries.

You can build the X libraries against musl; you might want to pass
--target=i486-linux-gnu since autoconf sometimes thinks it's dealing with libc5.

FYI, there is a project called tinyxlib based on a mix of work from xwoaf, Amigo Linux, one or two Puppy developers, and some other sources; I have a git repo for working on it at
github.com/idunham/tinyxlib
It's not full-featured or complete, but there's enough to build several applications, it's small, and it only takes a couple minutes to build the commonly-used libs, so you might be interestin in trying it. Edit standard_definitions.mk to suit your site.
Of course, you will need a C++ compiler to do anything with FLTK.

X is called a "server" for a reason: assuming you don't have incompatible extensions, you can use any x server and any application you want as long as they can connect.  For example, you can:
-run musl and libc5 X apps with glibc X servers
-have IRIX, BSD, or Solaris apps running remotely and displaying locally on a glibc-based Linux system

HTH,
Isaac Dunham <idunham@...abit.com>