Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 23:53:51 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Further bugs in syslog()

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 11:45:39PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> William Haddon's report about syslog prompted me to review the file,
> and there seem to be several additional bugs:
>
> 1. log_ident stores the actual pointer passed by the caller rather
>    than a copy of the string. This probably works in practice for most
>    callers but it's definitely not correct.

It should be noted that, per glibc's documentation of openlog, it
shares this bug. POSIX has no text that allows such an implementation,
but I suspect all historic implementations have this bad behavior, so
it's possibly an issue that should be raised on the Austin Group
tracker...

glibc also documents closelog as clearing log_ident to the default
value. This behavior does not seem to be permitted (much less
required) by the standard.