Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 15:03:47 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: question: hard-coded file descriptors in
 stdin/stdout/stderr

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 02:55:44PM -0400, Zvi Gilboa wrote:
> Thank you for the encouragement, Rich! It is great to know that the
> project will be warmly welcome by the musl community.  As for the

No problem. To clarify a bit, musl itself will most likely remain
Linux-only (or rather Linux-syscall-API-only) in the main repository,
because I don't like the complexity cost (which you can see in its
extreme form in glibc :) of abstracting for that kind of underlying
system diversity. The approach I would recommend to you if you want to
use musl for this is to fork files which need to be seriously
different on Windows, and keep a separate list of files that can be
synchonized automatically or with minimal manual intervention.

If there end up being things that are gratuitously difficult to reuse
in their current form, that could be changed in musl without making it
more complex or having other undesirable side effects, I think we
could probably make changes that make your work easier.

If on the other hand your work provides a pseudo-syscall-interface
musl could ride on top of, it might be possible to use most of musl
almost-unmodified on top of windows.