Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 21:00:27 +0100
From: John Spencer <maillist-musl@...fooze.de>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: strcasestr.c

On 02/21/2013 07:18 AM, Isaac Dunham wrote:
>>> it's so non-standard that even nobody uses it.
>>> i looked up the usage of the function in codesearch.debian.net, and
>>> the only *user* (from all ~20K debian packages) of the function is
>>> gnu wget.
>> Are you sure this search was correct? IIRC there were more...

i just checked again, and according to debian codesearch this is indeed
the only call.

> A quick check here indicates that busybox, mutt, git, midnight commander, sylpheed, foomatic-rip, elinks, and a couple libraries use it.
> Busycox uses it in grep and for checking passwords (see libbb/obscure.c).

interesting findings. i can confirm that busybox does indeed use
strcasestr unconditionally, and git seems to use it as well.
so it was probably added to make busybox happy.

i can't really believe that git is not in debian's 18K base packages, so
i can't really explain why this is missing from codesearch results.

>> The other somewhat reasonable option would be removing the function,
>> which would expose breakage in programs that were already using the
>> broken version in musl. I'm mildly against this, but I'd be interested
>> in hearing arguments either way.
> Were the claimed frequency correct, I would want it gone. As it stands, I think that a small but slow version is justifiable. A large one isn't.
*nod*