Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 23:28:31 +0100
From: John Spencer <maillist-musl@...fooze.de>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: strcasestr.c

On 02/17/2013 08:04 PM, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 10:23:49AM -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 09:59:56AM -0500, Todd C. Miller wrote:
>>> When investigating using the musl strstr.c ofr OpenBSD I noticed
>>> that musl only has a stub for strcasestr() that calls strstr().

according to git log, this function dates back to the very first musl
commit ever...

> Since strcasestr is nonstandard and not clearly specified,

it's so non-standard that even nobody uses it.
i looked up the usage of the function in codesearch.debian.net, and the
only *user* (from all ~20K debian packages) of the function is gnu wget.
every other occurence of the function is from gnulib embedded into other
packages.
so the current status is: gnulib includes the function, but nobody
besides gnu wget uses it.

> Comments from anybody else?

given the above findings, we can just leave the function as-is (plus a
comment that nobody uses it anyway) or remove it entirely.
in any case it doesnt make sense to put much work and especially much
code into it.
if it's gonna be implemented "correctly" at all, it should be as slim as
possible, in the order of 3-5 LOC.