Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2012 14:02:35 -0600
From: Rob Landley <rob@...dley.net>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: static linking and dlopen

On 12/08/2012 02:47:09 PM, Szabolcs Nagy wrote:
> * Paul Schutte <sjpschutte@...il.com> [2012-12-08 20:09:35 +0200]:
> > When I link a binary statically and that binary then use dlopen,
> would that
> > work 100% ?
>
> not required to work
>
> and musl does not implement it (always returns 0)
>
> > What would open if the shared object that was dlopened want's to
> call
> > functions in other shared libraries ?
>
> see the first paragraph in the description of dlopen:
>
> http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/dlopen.html

Please add this to the FAQ, or whatever "how shared libraries work"
documentation you wind up doing. There were also earlier discussions of
the horrors of dlclose that should be noted somewhere.

(Unless this is a "belling the cat" situation where suggesting it makes
it my responsibility, but I don't actually know this stuff...)

Rob