Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 12:30:19 -0500
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: musl 0.9.8 released

On Mon, Dec 03, 2012 at 02:11:17PM +0100, Szabolcs Nagy wrote:
> i just remembered that there was a request about tzdata support
> with proper zoneinfo parsing instead of just posix TZ

Yes. I'd forgotten about that. It doesn't necessarily need to be on
the agenda for the next release cycle, but it definitely needs to be
in the 1.0 wishlist. I think I'll post a revised 1.0 wishlist with
possible time frames for each item..

As for zoneinfo support, what it basically amounts to is writing a
single function that, given a time in seconds since the epoch, runs
over the mmapped zoneinfo binary format file and returns the timezone
offset at that moment. It might also need the ability to determine
separately the DST and non-DST offsets for the year that time falls in
(for use with mktime) -- this could be done via an extra argument to
the function, like the tm_isdst field, with 3 possible values -- and
the ability to get the DST and non-DST names of the timezone.

Would you or anyone else be interested in taking a shot at writing
such a function? I remember I looked at it a while back and it didn't
seem so hard, but the zoneinfo file format was really ugly with a lot
of unnecessary indirection.