Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 14:38:54 +0000 (UTC)
From: Roy <roytam@...il.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Revisiting 1.0 wishlist

Rich Felker <dalias <at> aerifal.cx> writes:
> At present, musl's iconv does not support any stateful encodings (the
> iconv_t it not actually a pointer to any state; it's just a bitfield
> storing the source and dest encodings directly), nor does it support
> EBCDIC at all. In general I believe stateful encodings may be relevant
> (ISO-2022-JP used to be the main Japanese encoding used on IRC; is
> that still true?) but I'm unsure whether even EBCDIC itself (much less
> derived DBCS's) has modern relevance with respect to iconv. I think
> the important question to ask is: "Is there any chance of an
> application which uses iconv to support receiving data in varied
> character encodings receiving data as EBCDIC?" My guess is no, but if
> you know usage cases I'll listen.
>From what I heard from users and coworkers, they backup data from
AIX mainframe without converting, and sometimes they need to view
backup data without connecting to mainframe, and they pipe iconv
output to pager for the purpose.
IIRC the Japanese use UTF-8 for newly created IRC networks, for
e-mail encoding, ISO-2022-JP, Shift-JIS, EUC-JP, and UTF-8 are
widely used.