Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 19:57:12 -0800 (PST)
From: idunham@...abit.com
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: lightweight web browsers (was: [ANN] sabotage 0.9.7
     milestone (x86[_64]) release)

> On 11/07/2012 07:04 AM, Isaac Dunham wrote:
>> On Tue, 06 Nov 2012 17:34:38 +0100
>> John Spencer<maillist-musl@...fooze.de>  wrote:
>>> still missing:
>>> - a desktop browser that comes with minimal dependencies (currently
>>> only
>>> lynx can be used to browse the interwebs)
>> So you don't have Links2 yet?
>>
>> Dependencies:
>> CLI:
>> Minimal:
>>   openssl | gnutls
>>   ncurses
>> Enhancements:
>>   libz, liblzma, bzip2 (transparent decompression)
>>   -libz, while optional, should be enabled or some sites won't work.
>> GUI:
>> Minimal:
>>   libpng (1.2, NOT 1.5!)
>
> oh, that's bad. i rather not have to have 2 different library versions
> around.
In my tests, libpng 1.5 is a little bit new for a good bit of software.
And Debian and Gentoo are both still defaulting to 1.2.x.
(libpng 1.2 & 1.4 are "stable" but ABI incompatible; 1.5 is "development")
My own inclination would be to just use libpng 1.2, but...sabotage is your
project, not mine.

The problem I was hitting was constant segfaults whenever I displayed a
page with a PNG.

>>   gpm
>> At least one of:
>>   linux-headers (for fbdev) | SDL | X11 headers | svgalib |directfb
>> Extra:
>>   libjpeg, libtiff (more image formats)
>>
>> You'll need to specify
>> CFLAGS="-D_GNU_SOURCE ..." \
>> /configure --enable-graphics --with-gpm --with-x --with-fb \
>> --x-includes=... --x-libraries=... --with-ssl
>>
>> to get it to build with GUI. I didn't need patches.
>>
>> If I recall correctly, Dillo3 can be built if you have fltk1.3.
>> It gives you partial CSS support.
> does it only depend on fltk or are there more deps ?

FLTK 1.3; OpenSSL; libjpeg; libpng (Debian and Gentoo both say ">= 1.2.0",
so no idea if it works with new libpng); libglib2; zlib.
Everything should build already.
<snip Netsurf>
>> And it's unfortunate that OWB seems to be gone; it was a WebKit/SDL
>> browser
> hmm i vaguely remember that compiling webkit has lots of dependencies,
> at least the last time i tried it.

They ported WebKit to SDL. If I remember right, they somehow took care of
most of the dependencies.

It looks a little less daunting than some other packages I've seen, but is
pretty deep; libsoup, icu, gobject/gir, and GAIL appear to be the main
problems (comparing Debian's build-deps to the list of packages in
pkgsrc).