Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 14:44:36 +0800
From: Brian Wang <brian.wang.0721@...il.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Difference between -O2 and -g

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 11:01:47AM +0800, Brian Wang wrote:

>> > It would help a lot if I knew what source you were using, or at least
>> > the part of the tree it corresponds to in the upstrea/latest X source
>> > tree, so I could take a look at it.
>>
>> I am using a mildly patched one based on:
>> http://xorg.freedesktop.org/archive/individual/xserver/xorg-server-1.5.1.tar.bz2
>> The patch is about displaying a background ppm image and should be
>> after the error path.
>>
>> The failed call is within dix/colormap.c:CreateColormap().
>>
>> Thanks for helping.  I really appreciate it.
>
> I would check out Xext/security.c SecurityResource() and see if you
> can figure out what it's doing. That appears to be the callback that's
> getting called. You might want to check and see if there are any
> others that could be registered; this could be done by grepping for
> XaceRegister.*RESOURCE, which I didn't do because I'm browsing the
> source online and the web interface seems to lack grep.

With a bit of digging, I found the source code of this oldish xserver
may trigger an undefined behaviour.
When calling XaceHook(int hook, ...), the switch case looks like this:
---------
switch (hook)
    {
	case XACE_RESOURCE_ACCESS: {
	    XaceResourceAccessRec rec = {
		va_arg(ap, ClientPtr),
		va_arg(ap, XID),
		va_arg(ap, RESTYPE),
		va_arg(ap, pointer),
		va_arg(ap, RESTYPE),
		va_arg(ap, pointer),
		va_arg(ap, Mask),
		Success /* default allow */
	    };
	    calldata = &rec;
	    prv = &rec.status;
	    break;
	}
---------
I think gcc-4.7.2 looks at 'rec' and thinks it is local to the switch
case and optimizes it away.  However, 'prv' will be accessed
down below outside the case.
I do not know whose fault this is (most likely this piece of code),
but certainly not musl's. :-)

I looked at the later version of xserver and it puts the rec variable
at the top, outside the switch, to avoid the ambiguity.  I copied this
particular piece over and recompiled Xfbdev with -O2.  Now it at least
starts up!  Finally I can move my hobby project a bit forward.

P.S.  Trying out a new C library is definitely scary and will somehow
cloud people's judgement, at least mine. :-)

Thank you for the help.

Brian

--
brian