Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 00:23:49 -0700
From: Isaac Dunham <idunham@...abit.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: feature request: flag to disable math library build

On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 19:28:58 -0400
Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 09:37:38PM +0200, Szabolcs Nagy wrote:
> > these are the math functions used by other parts
> > of libc (mostly float scan and print):
> >
> > M = \
<snip>
> > so you need
> >
> > SRCS := $(SRCS) $(M:%=src/math/%.c)
> >
> > (not tested)
>
> Note that this breaks if any of the above functions ever depend on
> other math functions or internal math modules, not to mention if the
> set of math functions used by the other part of the library ever
> changes. I'm generally opposed to this kind of feature switching
> because it has huge maintenance cost keeping track of all possible
> configurations and ensuring none of them are broken.

I'd tend to consider src/math to be core components.
And IIRC, src/complex built the last time I tried CVS pcc (but I could be misremembering!)

However, C11 makes complex numbers optional, and there's currently no dependance on src/complex/ - would it make sense to allow
/configure --disable-complex
(via the filter-out rule)?
What percent of the build time is that?

--