Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 02:24:04 +0200
From: John Spencer <maillist-musl@...fooze.de>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: feature request: flag to disable math library build

On 10/12/2012 01:28 AM, Rich Felker wrote:

> I think the problem of extreme slowness building on emulated or
> low-end hardware could be better addressed by using distcc, cross
> compiling, or other approaches that leverage a more-powerful cpu

of course having such a setup is preferable.
however i have to build sabotage as a whole, and am testing different
compilers
that are not necessarily able to compile using distcc with an
identically built cross-compiler.
engineering such an environment, that is even embeddable into the
sabotage build environment,
seems like a herculean effort.

also it doesn't solve the problem that you simply don't want to have the
math library, if it
for example breaks pcc.

> instead of omitting parts of libc. (Anyway, isn't musl only a tiny
> percentage of the total build time?)
it takes a pretty long time, especially when built with .a and .so support.
for example, to compile the things in stage0, you don't need math
support at all, and the full musl
gets built in stage1 again.
if i can halve the time spent during stage0 musl builds, that will sum
up soon.