Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 00:44:41 -0400 (EDT)
From: idunham@...abit.com
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: R/GNU S: up with a couple hitches...

> On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 08:19:17PM -0400, idunham@...abit.com wrote:
>> BTW, Rich, here's what that page says about iconv:
>> | The R usage requires iconv to be able to translate between "latin1"
>> | and "UTF-8", to recognize "" (as the current encoding) and "ASCII",
>> | and to translate to and from the Unicode wide-character formats
>> | "UCS-[24][BL]E"
>> How much of this should musl support?
>
> I've never heard of using "" (blank string) to mean "the current
> encoding". If it's documented usage for glibc, it must be buried
> somewhere in the docs; it's definitely not a standard usage. The
> standard way to get the locale's encoding is nl_langinfo(CODESET); on
> any good implementation it will be accepted as an argument to
> iconv_open.
Here's what the glibc docs say
(http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/Standard-Locales.html#Standard-Locales):
===
The only locale names you can count on finding on all operating systems
are these three standard ones:

"C"
    This is the standard C locale. The attributes and behavior it provides
are specified in the ISO C standard. When your program starts up, it
initially uses this locale by default.
"POSIX"
    This is the standard POSIX locale. Currently, it is an alias for the
standard C locale.
""
    The empty name says to select a locale based on environment variables.
See Locale Categories.
===
Not that they accurately represent facts outside glibc!