Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 12:31:48 +0200
From: Szabolcs Nagy <nsz@...t70.net>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: musl 0.9.5 release and new website

* Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx> [2012-09-15 23:26:58 -0400]:
> Wow, thanks! I had no idea how this $PATH_INFO thing worked, but it's
> very nice. Is this thttpd-specific, or is it the generic way
> webservers work when a non-final path element is not a directory but
> instead a script? cgit is supposed to do something like this, but I
> couldn't get it to work so I hacked it to use the ugly old
> query-string style urls, but it would be a lot nicer if I could have
> just:
>
> http://git.musl-libc.org/musl/tree/README

the PATH_INFO is part of the cgi 1.1 rfc
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3875

most web servers can serve a vhost with a given
cgi script, i think in thttpd it's enough to
symlink the vhost name to the cgi script

it seems thttpd cgi handling has minor issues:
- it ignors the 301 status code
(and uses 302 redirects, so search engines don't
know that they should only index the target url)
(this seems to be patched on my system)
- the PATH_INFO for the root is '/.' instead of '/'
(but this is just a minor detail, and can be solved
with [ "$PATH_INFO" != /. ] || PATH_INFO=/)

so the redirect is not perfect now..