Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 23:35:09 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: musl 0.9.5 release and new website

On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 04:05:05PM +0200, Luca Barbato wrote:
> On 09/15/2012 03:53 PM, Szabolcs Nagy wrote:
> > i would http redirect the non 'www.' prefixed host
> > to the 'www.' prefixed one
>
> please do the opposite, cargo culting www is terrible.

I disagree on this one. If the domain _IS_ a website (think
facebook.com, etc.) then I agree it's perfectly reasonable, and
probably aesthetically nicer, to have the base domain without www be
the primary name for the website. But if the domain corresponds to
some project, organization, brand, product, etc. that's not a website
itself, then www.[whatever].[tld] serves to identify it as "the
_webserver_ for [whatever]", alongside other possible servers like the
git server, the ftp server, etc. The idea of using different domain
names for each of them is that you can transparently move them to
different machines without breaking urls.

Using a redirecting webserver on the base domain name doesn't really
conflict with this principle since it's not something that would need
to be moved; it's a very low-load service that's only hit when someone
lazy types the url by hand...