Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 17:55:16 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: capset() capget() syscalls

On Sun, Sep 09, 2012 at 05:13:55PM -0400, James Cloos wrote:

> >> futex
>
> RF> glibc does not expose this as far as I know. I would not be opposed
> RF> to having sys/futex.h however. It's less ugly than having to use
> RF> linux/futex.h and syscall()...
>
> +1.  <sys/futex.h> and a separate library seems to be the best way to
> support the futex interface.  Such a lib might try to be portable with
> support for other lock and semaphore apis when futex(7)s are unavailable.

With something like futex that's a trivial syscall, I'm not sure what
qualifies it for a separate lib rather than inclusion in libc. The
library would be <20 bytes of code on most archs... That's not to say
I think we have to expose it in musl, but I think using a separate
library (especially if there's any chance of it being built as a .so
rather than just .a) is a worse choice than just writing
syscall(SYS_futex, ...) in your source...