Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 13:04:12 +0200
From: philomath <philomath868@...il.com>
To: <musl@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Musl-extra: C general-purpose and utility library

Hi,

(sorry for the title, I couldn't resist...)

During the recent discussions about feature-test-macros and libcap, it occurred
to me that we need a unified good general-purpose C library (with "good"
being understood as in musl's spirit).
Musl at it's core aims to be a standards-compliant libc, and minimalistic at
that, that's great. but it also brings in extra baggage, plus it has no place
for data-structures, algorithms, and general utility functions.

Maybe we should only implement in musl the absolute minimum, and move
everything else to musl-extra.  there we would create something like an
alternative to Glib (and -shudder- gnulib) that sucks less (or even rocks). we
can build on libraries such as plan9's, DJB and derivatives, etc (taking the
good from the bed). in affect creating our own standards with no nonsense
baggage.  who knows, in years to come we may all be working on the SMS (single
musl specification).

Or maybe I should stop dreaming and get some work done?

Bye.