Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 09:22:58 +0100
From: Justin Cormack <justin@...cialbusservice.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: capset() capget() syscalls

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 4:04 AM, Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx> wrote:
>> I agree with Linus, provide all the headers in libc. I tried to write
>> some code to include all syscalls and constants needed for them, and
>> as far as I can see it is impossible with glibc due to conflicts. If
>> anyone has a set of includes that works let me know....
>
> Can you explain what you mean here?

WIth glibc I cannot seem to find a set of headers to include that will
give me access to all the system calls plus the types and constants
needed to call them. There are always conflicts. I am hoping I will be
able to with Musl.

>My impression was that the kernel developers intend for this API to be
>deprecated for use by applications, and the only reason they haven't
>replaced it with a proper kernelspace API is that they assume you'll
>be using libcap which wraps/hides the ugliness (and replaces it with
>something else that's just ugly in different ways...).

I don't see it can be deprecated if it has not been replaced... it is
one of the syscalls not generally intended for everyday use. But it is
a bit unclear.

For reference (this list is not complete), Musl is missing the
following syscalls that glibc has:
fallocate, acct, setns, sync_file_range, readahead, tee,
timerfd_create, timerfd_settime, timerfd_gettime

Musl has the following syscalls that glibc does not provide:
mknod, mknodat, clock_nanosleep

And neither provide the non obsolete
clock_getres, clock_settime, clock_gettime

So I don't think there is much rationale to this set right now...

Justin