Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 10:11:32 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: capset() capget() syscalls

On Thu, Sep 06, 2012 at 01:36:24PM +0200, Igmar Palsenberg wrote:

> >> My own. Those definitions are part of the kernel syscall. While glibc
> >> does support structure definitions for most syscalls,
> >> capabilities seem to be an exception. (they are in linux/capabilities.h
> >> to be exact). Oh, and I really dislike the interfaces libcap provides.
> > I found them pretty ugly too, but I can't say I like the kernel API
> > any better... And the API in linux/capabilities.h is just horrible.
> > The typedefs are pointer types and there's no way to actually declare
> > the objects they point to without using the _-prefixed struct tag. I
> > don't see why they needed this hideous struct-pointer-based interface
> > rather than just passing a few words as syscall arguments...
> You only need cap_user_header_t and cap_user_data_t, and the CAP_ defines.
> The rest belongs to libcap, and aren't used by the kernel API.

The problem with these is that the typedefs are defined to the
pointer-to-struct type, not the struct type, and the actual struct
type seems to have a name that's not meant to be used by applications
(_-prefixed). This makes it impossible to actually declare objects of
the necessary type. And using typedef to a pointer type instead of the
base object type when you're not dealing with an 100% opaque type is
just Considered Harmful...

> We might consider altering the naming a bit. The __u32 stuff can be
> replace by proper typing.

Yes, that's not what I was talking about; it's easy to fix.