Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2012 16:32:42 +0200
From: Szabolcs Nagy <nsz@...t70.net>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: 'Proper' software writing

* Igmar Palsenberg <musl@...senberg.com> [2012-09-03 15:55:47 +0200]:
> - Why use _BSD_SOURCE and _GNU_SOURCE at all ? What is the argument of
> not exposing *ALL* stuff that is in musl ?
> - Is there a way to do proper feature detection ? I tried autoscan from
> autotools, but the outcome wanted to make me cry. It missed about all
>    that is important.
>
> Any comments / suggestions ?

see the archive, we just had a discussion about this

here is the summary:
http://www.openwall.com/lists/musl/2012/09/03/1

currently the easy way to work around broken code is
to add -D_GNU_SOURCE to the CFLAGS

exposing all stuff by default is not what you want:
many of the symbols are obsolete/broken, there are bsd
symbols not present in glibc and simple symbols that
violate the standard namespace (so they can easily cause
problems if made visible by default)