Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 04:10:15 -0400 (EDT)
From: idunham@...abit.com
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Help-wanted tasks for musl

> Hi all,
> Here are some tasks I could really use some help on, based on current
> topics and requests that have come up on the list and IRC. Any
> volunteers? See below...

> Interfacing with a proxy/cache daemon using nscd protocol is one of
> the proposed options for allowing musl to deal with NIS/LDAP/etc. user
> databases. In order to evaluate the option, we need to know how the
> protocol works and what's involved in making queries and receiv
> Analysis of Gregor's pkgsrc failure results
>
> Gregor Richards has run the whole NetBSD pkgsrc build (over 10k
> packages) against musl and posted reports to the mailing list and
> wiki. Some analysis on the most frequent causes of failure could be
> extremely helpful to improving compatibility. It would also be nice to
> identify major dependency failures that can be fixed (either in the
> upstream package if it's buggy, or in musl if it's due to missing
> features) so that the packages which depend on them can be tested too.
> I'm looking to get results in the form of "we should fix X and Y and Z
> and then lots more packages will work".

ISTR that Gregor has something that gives him scores for how important
different packages are.

I look at this once in a while already, but now that I've done a little
repartitioning, should be able to do a little more...
Just for a brief overview of a few things:
-SDL: patches haven't been merged
-There are at least a dozen packages that should be building, per my own
tests without pkgsrc, but aren't.
-e2fsprogs provides libcomerr, so I suspect blocks zephyr, which blocks
libpurple/pidgin/...
-avahi is semi-important
-ruby has been one of the higher-priority ones to fix
-R needs g77 or gfortran a/k/a g95 (I have g77, but that's not in pkgsrc...).
Also needs lapack & blas which need the same.
Octave needs all of the above, plus more...
I suspect that applying musl patches to gcc-core, and untarring gfortran
on that, would be adequate-that's what I did for g77.
-qt3 & qt4 libs won't build OOB.
> Regression testing
>
> This is a big project, but there are lots of things that can be done
> to contribute without doing it all. Basically it entails reading the
> git log, identifying all bugs fixed, and for each bug, formulating a
> test that reflects whether the bug exists or not.

Is git shortlog |grep -i bug going to be enough to catch them all, or not?