Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 15:47:41 -0400
From: Gregor Richards <gr@...due.edu>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: musl 0.9.4 released

On 08/18/2012 03:42 PM, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 12:40:22PM -0400, Gregor Richards wrote:
>> On 08/18/2012 12:12 AM, Rich Felker wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Here's the release.
>>>
>>>      Major improvements to MIPS port, including support for dynamic
>>>      linking. Password hashing (crypt) now supports blowfish hash
>>>      algorithm. Further application compatibility improvements
>>>      especially for BSD and SUSv3-targeted software. Performance
>>>      improvements in printf and memcpy. Various bugfixes: strtod
>>>      family, wcsstr, err.h functions, and many MIPS-specific bugs.
>>>
>>>      http://www.etalabs.net/musl/releases/musl-0.9.4.tar.gz
>>>
>>> Post-release priorities will be the gnuhash/dladdr patch, md5/sha
>>> crypt, and perhaps integrating further ports (ppc and mips64 taking
>>> priority). I know there are also various smaller pending patches
>>> (vm86, etc.) that should get some attention too.
>>>
>>> Rich
>> New musl cross compilers for all supported platforms finished:
>> https://bitbucket.org/GregorR/musl-cross/downloads
> Random question, but related: could you provide directions for
> upgrading musl on your cross compilers? For example, what prefix
> relative to the cross compiler root should be passed to musl's
> configure, and are there any other files that need changing in the
> cross tree when upgrading?
>
> Rich

I've added this tidbit to the README:

Upgrading cross compilers

It is possible to upgrade the musl version in a musl-cross cross compiler
without rebuilding the entire cross compiler prefix from scratch. Simply
download and extract the new version of musl, then configure it like so:

Where "<prefix>" is the prefix the cross compiler root was
installed/extracted
to, and <triple> is the GNU-style target triple (e.g. i486-linux-microcosm).

No other changes are needed, upgrading is really quite trivial.

With valediction,
  - Gregor Richards