Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 08:36:40 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Todo for release?

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 10:55:06AM +0200, Daniel Cegiełka wrote:

> >> - Support for __progname (Daniel)
> >
> > Daniel, any more thoughts on this? Are there lots of programs that
> > want it that can't easily be patched to simply use argv[0] themselves?
>
> This is not something that is absolutely necessary. __progname quite
> often is used on *BSD and less on Linux (eg. Owl's msulogin,
> popa3d)... but __progname is always easy to fix.

My leaning is to omit it at least for now then.

> Here we have the OpenBSD repo and content /bin directories:
>
> http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/bin/
>
> And here's a list of programs (from /bin/) that require __progname (70% of all):

This might be a little bit inflated if it includes programs which
detected the presence of __progname at build time and only used it
because of that.

> For __progname  we probably need to modify (asm) files in the musl/crt/.

No, the only thing that belongs there is the minimum code to get argc,
argv, the addresses of main, _init, _fini, and jump to
__libc_start_main. The latter is responsible for things like
__progname. If the code were put in crt1.o, all programs would have a
reference to __progname encoded into them, which is not something
desirable; it would also increase the amount of per-arch code that
must be maintained.